Since time immemorial, both men and women have consumed delicious dishes of sea oyster and downed ounces of tasty red wine, just to spice up their sexual life. Throughout known history of humanity, a number of natural foods, herbs, drinks and supplements have had a profound influence on the way men and women thought about passion, sex and pleasure. Virtually every known civilization in the past had its own set of natural aphrodisiacs that played an important role in the day-to-day sex lives.
A natural aphrodisiac is an agent that exists in nature and possesses an ability to increase sexual desire. In Greek mythology, the name natural aphrodisiac comes from the Greek Goddess of Sensuality and Passion, Aphrodite. Ancient Greeks, Romans, Indians and Egyptians used several natural aphrodisiacs to enhance their sexual desire, increase sexual performance and pleasure. People sternly believe in the capability of these substances to enhance potency, desire and performance; however, the perceived results may be due to the belief of these people that such substances do really work in their sex life. Whatever the case may be, the placebo effect exerted by these natural aphrodisiac substances do possess some positive influence over the sexual psyche of people.
Most of the natural aphrodisiac substances gain their fame from the basic principles of sympathetic shape and magic, or due to their physical shape. This is probably the reason why people from South-East Asia prefer to use the horn of Rhinoceros and Tiger penis as natural aphrodisiac materials. Such natural aphrodisiacs exert a positive influence of virility, vitality and animal-like aggressiveness among people.
In practice, some natural aphrodisiacs do work to some extent, while many others are just hypothetical and legendary. However, some people still do not believe in these natural aphrodisiacs, while countless numbers of men and women still vouch by the efficacy of using them. Skeptics also believe that such materials are those strange, mysterious and unknown fusions with very weird sounding ingredients and additives. However, this belief may not be true on the real sense, as the positive effects of at least some of these compounds are already recognized.
In nature, several natural aphrodisiac substances are supposed to provide aphrodisiacal effects. Some of them are:
- Honey: In ancient Persian Kingdoms, honey acted as a natural aphrodisiac that enhanced sexual performance indicators like virility and vitality. Honey has plenty of easily digestible sugar that can provide unlimited amount of energy.
- Pine Nuts: A native dry fruit of Himalayas, Pine fruit has a rare protein that can boost those hormones connected with sexual activities.
- Asparagus: Known as dish of love, Asparagus is full of invaluable minerals like Potassium, Iron and Selenium. Asparagus can help people maintain virility and vitality for a long time.
- Ginger: One of the best-known spices, Ginger has a soothing aroma that relaxes your mind as well make blood flow quicker throughout the system. It is also a sexual stimulant.
- Chocolate: Chocolate has ingredients that cause your brain to release a substance called serotonin, which is the hormone responsible for feelings of peace, relaxation and pleasure. Dark, pink or black chocolate contains a heavy dose of natural aphrodisiac that can enhance your libido.
Other common natural aphrodisiac substances are Damiana, Ginkgo biloba, Ginseng, Maca, Oysters, Spanish fly , Sea Cucumber, Turtle eggs, Artichokes, Zestra, Ginseng, Ashwagandha, Boron, Durian Fruit, Irish Moss, Mandrake, Montanoa, Musk, Passionflower, Patchouli, Caviar and Figs. Even with their perceived positive and beneficial qualities, natural aphrodisiac agents do contain some harmful additives and chemicals that have the ability to seriously impair and damage sensitive body organs like kidney, liver, heart and pancreas. One may need to be cautious while using natural aphrodisiac agents, and it is always better to consult a qualified physician or an herbalist before ingesting or using such agents.